Thursday, April 7, 2011

Turning recycled windows into fun herb garden green house.

So awhile back I saw this article in  Romantic Homes issue it looked a little like this But of course was decorated with tons of wonderful shrubbery and chandeliers.  I have kept the article although it is now dogeared and creased but some day I will have to get around to making one for my very own. 

  Meanwhile, while browsing in a local shop called Aunt Bee's House I found a tabletop version that the owner of the store had commissioned to be made. I thought it was really cute.  Here is a picture of it. 


So I decided to attack that old pile of windows that I have been saving and create a mini sized one as well.  So here is my version that I came up with.  It's 48" long, 38" wide, and about 5ft tall when all set up.

 Here I did a slap coat of paint that I'll eventually have to scrape off.  I'm not one for masking off things although I should probably start thinking ahead.... Naaaaa more fun going with the flow!

I decided that I should add a door to keep little critters out.  Or keep Mandy (my dog) in?  I don't really think she likes her little palace.  She looks a little leery.

This is the back view of the house

 All in all is was a great little project that used these materials (all my materials were reclaimed and recycled)

(2) 2x4X8
(8) assorted vintage windows
(1) 1/4"x4x8 trim molding
(4) door hinges (for the door and roof)
(75-100) 2 1/2" screws
(6) 3" nails
(1) latch (for the door)
Chop saw
Table saw
Drill and bits
tape measure
pencil
paint and paint brush

From start to finish this project will take you about 12 hours to complete. Estimated cost will be between $80.00-$200.00 it really depends on how much you pay for your windows.  I will be selling this Vintage inspired green house at our upcoming show for $165.




2 comments :

  1. Lovely blog! Not sure how I got here, but I'm so glad I did. I'm gonna follow you from now on.
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I have been wanting to make one for a while now and just haven't gotten around to it...you have inspired me! Actually, I have been trying to convince Nick to help me make a little cottage/shed size-gonna take a little more begging I think :-)

    -Linds

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love to hear from you!