I love that I have a whole auto body shop at my disposal! It comes in so helpful in the projects that I do. My dad restores old vintage cars for a living and so he has every tool under the sun in his shop. Since May this year I have made it a personal goal to learn how to weld with a wire feed welder. I have dabbled here and there with it but I've never done a whole project by myself before.
So about a month ago my did made another "donation" to the Roost Barn. A 1985-1990 daybed. Looking at the thing I thought really? A day bed what the heck am I going to do with that! Not many of my friends are looking to buy one they're not really "THE RAGE" these days especially one that's this beat up. Then I think back to the Molly Mo's show in August when I posted my transformation project on an old baby crib. Do you all remember that post... it went from old broken baby crib to this:
So I thought about this bed frame as a bench and got down to work. Having the proper tools is essential.
I actually don't have the pictures of the frame before I started cutting and welding. I accidentally deleted them. But here is the frame after I cut it down to size. I had to cut sections out off the ends of the daybed back so it would be shorter. Then I had to cut out sections of the sides so that it would be more narrow like a bench instead of a bed.
Then I needed to tack weld the bars in place.
Do to the fact that I am new at this welding thing I needed to grind off some of the weld to make it flat and smooth.
After welding the frame together I decided to use the rails from the bed as the supports to the wood that I planned on cutting to fit inside the rails.
Here is a picture of the bench with the wood piece that (my dad) cut to fit.
So after I got the bench together I needed to find something to fit inside the holes that the brass finials were previously in. (I'm not a huge brass fan and they were dented and rusty in a bad way)
I did however find some old knobs that were pulled off of a dresser in a previous make-over project. Just goes to show, never throw anything useful away.
After inserting the knobs in the hole I painted them and did a once over with paint on the whole frame.
Here is how the finished project turned out: